Friday, October 08, 2021

Sixteen Years A Blogger, Etc.

Sixteen years ago and 1561 postings ago today, Video WatchBlog was launched. Since then, it has won the coveted Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award for Best Blog a couple of times, and been a runner-up many times. I wish I had more free time to keep it active, but I haven't been doing too badly this year, with 76 postings added since January a couple of months still left to go. If it's any consolation, this is now my primary outlet for work you can actually read with your own eyes and inner voice. Even when I was writing regularly for VIDEO WATCHDOG and other publications, through no particular choice of my own, some of my best writing appeared here and only here. It's a meaningful outlet to me and, I hope, to you.

In other related news...

On the Novella Front: I want to take this opportunity to let you know that the Limited Signed Edition of my novella THE SECRET LIFE OF LOVE SONGS, strictly limited to 100 copies and co-signed by my musical collaborator Dorothy Moskowitz, is now in stock at PS Publishing. If you intend to order, do it now; these will disappear fast, and the accompanying CD is limited to the first 300 copies of the signed, the limited, and the unsigned editions sold. If you're wondering what I am doing writing about love songs, or even about love, my answer is that I am expanding my definition of myself as a writer - and now, as a songwriter. Though I have no illusions about my abilities as a singer, and no intention of going out to croon in nightclubs, I've heard much worse get the seal of approval and I'm immensely proud of the songs Dorothy and I wrote and the album we have created. The novella is, in some ways, about finding the courage to change, to transform, to step out and claim your destiny, and this serves as a kind of metaphor for the dares I had to take to fulfill the challenges of this work in general.

On the Audio Commentary Front: Just yesterday I completed my work on a new audio commentary for Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE. My other most recently completed commentaries include John Huston's FREUD, the episode "The House/Shadows On A Certain Wall" for NIGHT GALLERY - THE FIRST SEASON, Jonathan Demme's THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, the classic German surgical horror picture THE HEAD, the long-awaited BD debut of Mario Bava's SHOCK, and the Italian Gothic horror classic MILL OF THE STONE WOMEN. Most of these have been announced but the others will be officially announced imminently. In about a week, I'll be starting on a new round of commentaries. A couple of the upcoming titles are very well-known, top-shelf dark thrillers, a couple are dark mystery and fantasy titles from the dawn of sound, and there are also a couple of important Jess Franco titles on my to-do list. I'll certainly be working on these through the remainder of the year.

On the Joe Sarno Book Front: For those who are wondering about the status of my Joe Sarno book, it has recently grown beyond the 700-page count in 12-point type, and I am stealing this present week between commentaries to add a couple of new chapters. At present count, I still have another twelve chapters left to write. Were my available time free and clear, I would have it finished within a few months but I've got bills to pay in the meantime. The book is going to take a selective approach to Sarno's oeuvre, but when I say "limited", I mean its primary scope and focus will be the more than 50 titles that Sarno made for the softcore market. I won't be writing about his career in hardcore at the same length and depth. At present, I am thinking of including a chapter covering the hardcore work in thumbnail brief, mostly to take note of the few important achievements he made within that category, but basically it is the intention of the book to reckon with the work he proudly signed with his own name.

On the Other Books Front: My MAN WITH KALEIDOSCOPE EYES novel is with Electric Dreamhouse/PS Publishing. I'm a little doubtful it will make it out before the end of this year. I'll quickly make an announcement should this suddenly change, but we are now into October. Electric Dreamhouse will be also publishing my Midnight Movie Monograph on Jess Franco's SUCCUBUS (aka NECRONOMICON) sometime next year. Finally, my novels THE ONLY CRIMINAL and THE ART WORLD are under contract with Riverdale Avenue Books, whose schedule was set back recently by hurricane-related flooding. I'll let you know when I know something more definite about their designated times of arrival.

On the Golden Anniversary Front: Finally, I have taken notice that next year will mark (gulp) my 50th year as a professional writer. I've recently signed a contract with a new publisher who has agreed to publish one collection of my past work, and - in theory - a kind of "Greatest Hits" book to acknowledge my Golden Anniversary. I didn't want to sign a contract for that until I could be sure of delivering such a book by next May. But I am actively compiling the manuscript and already have a healthy stack of pages compiled, even before I've started going through the oldest of my files and even the 1500+ posts published here. So it looks to be a very busy year ahead.

I thank you for your continued attention and support!


(c) 2021 by Tim Lucas. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to Tim Lucas / Video WatchBlog by Email

If you enjoy Video WatchBlog, your kind support will help to ensure its continued frequency and broader reach of coverage.