Friday, February 26, 2021

Appreciating Jack


Don’t worry, this isn't a eulogy. He’s just on my mind. 

Sometimes I think he might have been the best movie star ever, but I know that he was (I put this in past tense because he’s now reportedly retired) at least the most interesting, charismatic American actor of my lifetime. He is also (as I can tell from having read a couple of his screenplays) a genuine intellectual, which you can’t readily see in his performances but which is often evident in the choices he made, at least until Hollywood’s production slate sold out. Even then, he could take something like AS GOOD AS IT GETS to the next level, and make something like ABOUT SCHMIDT (a tough sell that deserved to be made) commercially feasible.

I feel he’s probably underrated by generations now who only know him from BATMAN or THE SHINING.

Appreciate him now. It’s going to hurt when he goes.


(c) 2021 by Tim Lucas. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to Tim Lucas / Video WatchBlog by Email

If you enjoy Video WatchBlog, your kind support will help to ensure its continued frequency and broader reach of coverage.