Thursday, November 26, 2020

RIP: Daria Nicolodi (1950-2020)

Daria Nicolodi in Mario Bava's SHOCK (1977).

I awoke this morning to some unhappy news: actress, screenwriter, and muse Daria Nicolodi - the star of Mario Bava’s last two films, and a significant force and presence in the best work of Dario Argento - has passed away. She was one of my key interviewees for MARIO BAVA - ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK; I phoned her once out of the blue and, even though I had unwittingly caught her in the midst of a dinner party, she made her apologies to her guests and gave me roughly half an hour of her time, then and there, because she had been thinking of Mario all that day. She told me toward the end of our call that she felt a bond with me given the devotion I’d expressed for Mario, and she also told me of the mystical connection she felt for him, first communicated to her through his films. I found out, years after it had happened, that when Donna and I had participated in a live telephone interview to launch the Bava book at an Italian film convention, she had been a silent attendant. We, of course, sent her a copy and she was very complimentary about it. It was good to link up with her again in recent years on Facebook, to exchange admirations, and to eavesdrop on the things that caught her eye and special interest. RIP to a kind and generous lady and a significant creature of the fantastique.

(c) 2020 by Tim Lucas. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to Tim Lucas / Video WatchBlog by Email

If you enjoy Video WatchBlog, your kind support will help to ensure its continued frequency and broader reach of coverage.