Wednesday, November 25, 2020

50 Years Ago Today/Tonight... in Cincinnati Theaters!


This was a Joseph Brenner Associates theatrical release of Tod Browning's FREAKS and Victor Halperin's WHITE ZOMBIE, both made in 1932. To be best of my knowledge, neither film had been shown previously on local television, and it had been many years since either was shown theatrically. Throughout that week, DARK SHADOWS accommodated commercials for the double bill every day, and I had never ached to see two movies at the drive-in quite so much. I think we were without a car at the time. Both of these classic films are so easily taken for granted now, but 50 years ago, they were just about the Unholy Grail.   

In my book about SPIRITS OF THE DEAD, I give a "best guess" date as to when I saw that fateful film for the first time: Saturday, November 28, 1970 - so this would have been the week of its re-release to many theaters in support of the X-rated Italian import WITCHCRAFT '70. As serendipity would have it, I started reading Fritz Leiber's CONJURE WIFE just last night, and here it is, turning up in its most-favored adaptation as Sidney Hayers' BURN, WITCH, BURN!

Directed by Stephanie Rothman, this was the first wholly original production to be released by Roger Corman's new production/distribution company, New World Pictures!
 
Even then, Christmas was being celebrated before Thanksgiving! To date, I've still not seen this version, though I know it has many admirers.

I didn't get to see this 1920s-era crime comedy from French director Jacques Deray until sometime earlier this year, but I found it a very enjoyable vehicle for Jean-Paul Belmondo and Alain Delon (who also produced the film, his first as producer). 

Talk about movies that slipped through the cracks - I've never heard of this one before, but it was the newest film from director Carol Reed (OLIVER!) and very nearly his last. I'm told it's playing on TCM this week, so check your schedules.


THE PLEASURE GAME was the only known film directed by John Vittoli. I suspect NORMA was a latter-day booking for Ted Roter's NORMA, sometimes known as NORMA... ISN'T NORMAL. 


(c) 2020 by Tim Lucas. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to Tim Lucas / Video WatchBlog by Email

If you enjoy Video WatchBlog, your kind support will help to ensure its continued frequency and broader reach of coverage.