Saturday, December 06, 2008

No Blossom on the Trees

Winter's not supposed to start until sometime in January, but the temperature here in Cincinnati tonight is in the teens, so I say it's here ahead of schedule. And I can't think of a more timely reason to recommend you check out this YouTube video of Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man performing "Funny Time of Year" in Nyon, Switzerland on July 26, 2003.

Though nearly ten minutes in length, it's one of the most gripping live performances I've had the pleasure of discovering at YouTube. Unfortunately OUT OF SEASON (Beth's superb album with Rustin Man) didn't attract the same level of attention as her Portishead albums, and consequently I don't think this particular show (in a tent!) has gone down in rock history, but -- my God! -- it deserves to. I'd stack this number up against most of the performances in MONTEREY POP or WOODSTOCK. That's Beth's Portishead mate Adrian Utley shredding it up on lead guitar.