Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cult Equals MC Quare

My "No Zone" review of THE QUARE FELLOW, starring Patrick McGoohan, is now posted at SIGHT & SOUND's website here, and it can also be found in their January 2009 issue, on newsstands now. The cover story is the Best of 2008, in which 50 different critics and contributors are polled on their favorite films of the past year. I'm not included in that number; I was invited, but I saw so few new films this past year, I declined to participate.

I did, however, participate in a critical symposium on Cult Movies that appears in the current, Winter 2008, issue of CINEASTE magazine, along with J. Hoberman, Danny Peary (author of the book CULT MOVIES) and others. It's my first-ever appearance in the pages of this venerable publication, and I'm honored to be there. My fellow contributors and I were all asked the same five questions, geared toward to defining and redefining this elusive term "cult movie" for the 21st century, and it makes for interesting reading. This one you can only read by putting on your galoshes and trudging out to your local newsstand, but it's worth the effort.