Friday, September 12, 2008

THE GARDEN OF EARTHLY DELIGHTS reviewed

Claudia and toad in Lech Majewski's THE GARDEN OF EARTHLY DELIGHTS.


... in the October 2008 issue of SIGHT & SOUND, now on newsstands, and also on their website here. This is one of the most impassioned reviews I've written for my "No Zone" column in S&S, but I feel very strongly about Lech Majewski's film. I am annoyed with myself, though, for apparently referring to the film's protagonist Claudia Casson with the similar first name of the actress who played her, Claudine Spiteri. Actually, as I look around the web, I see I'm not the first source to commit this error (beginning with the IMDb and the film's own website!), but the confusion may be a tacit tribute to how completely Spiteri makes this haunting character, and this magical film, her own.