Monday, May 21, 2007

Read Me, Hear Me

SIGHT & SOUND have updated their webpage with samples of their new June 2007 "Grindhouse" issue, which I mentioned a week or so ago as forthcoming. In addition to posting my usual NoZone column (which this month focuses on Alain Robbe-Grillet's LA BELLE CAPTIVE), they've posted by the complete text of my "10 Picks from the Grindhouse" feature -- though the print edition is much more fully illustrated, having images from all ten feature films covered by the article.

Last week I reviewed Docudrama's new box set reissue of DA Pennebaker's BOB DYLAN DONT LOOK BACK for my next SIGHT & SOUND "NoZone" -- which, incredibly, will be Column # 50. I wrote the first of the columns in April 2003, and it was published a month or two later. My "10 Picks from the Grindhouse" article is, by my count, the 50th piece I've published in the magazine, the first being a short piece related to Joe Dante's MATINEE written about ten years before the column was proposed to me.

Also, Vince Rotolo's website B-Movie Cast has posted the first-ever podcast interview that Donna and I have ever given. I think I threw Vince a curve by suggesting that Donna join us in the interview, but as the publisher of VW and the designer of the Bava book (our two topics of discussion), I knew in advance that she could answer some questions better than I could. The download runs for about 25 minutes and I hope you'll take the time to give it a listen. Our thanks to Vince for the attention.