Tuesday, February 25, 2014

GODZILLA: The Bigger, Better "We're Screwed" Machine


Today the official GODZILLA trailer was unveiled and it looks very impressive. But, as I watched it, I found myself reflecting on how, each year, billions are spent to bolster our military while other billions are simultaneously spent to produce epic apocalypse entertainments that engage us by showing us that, when push comes to shove, we don't stand a chance in hell. I wish I could see this trailer and simply welcome the coming of a new monster movie, as I once did, but as I watched this unquestionably exciting promo, I also found myself wincing a bit at our collective need to see this particular fantasy made so punishingly realistic.

Of course I look forward to seeing it, but sometimes I also sing along with Morrissey when he sings "Come, come, come - nuclear bomb."