Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Rolling Stones Do Lovecraft

Didja ever wake up to find

A day that broke up your mind

Destroyin' your notion of circular time?

It's just that Evil Eye

... that got you in its sway.

Words: "Sway" by the Rolling Stones, written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, from the album STICKY FINGERS (1971).
Images: "Dreams in the Witch-House" (2005) by Stuart Gordon, based on the story by H.P. Lovecraft. From the series MASTERS OF HORROR, available from Anchor Bay Entertainment.
Note 10/9/08: I've had a few e-mails from helpful readers who inform me that, according to the song lyrics posted on whatever website, I've got the lyric wrong and that the real line is "It's just that demon life has got you in its sway." I know, I looked around for lyrics, but finally went with what's on the actual recording. "Demon life" may have been part of a rough draft, it might even be in the background vocals, but it's not what Mick Jagger is singing. I have the album and I studied the recording carefully prior to, and even after, posting. It's a common saying that the evil eye or malocchio has one in its sway, or thrall. "Demon life" in this context would make no sense. Granted, Jagger sings the song like he's a couple of bottles of cognac to the wind, but I believe "evil eye" is fairly plainly heard, considering how some entire other verses are slurred.